Friday, May 08, 2009

Book Sale Time!

It's time for the Scholastic Warehouse book sale again (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you can read about it in one of my old posts).  Each warehouse has totally different stock based on what's left over from the year, and the one in Utah seemed to have a fairly small selection (but i think it was still worth the trip).  Here are a few titles that stood out to me.  I'd love to hear if there were any titles that you were excited to see!
Dr. Seuss Alphabet cards.  Creed is very interested in letters these days and good flashcards are surprisingly expensive so I was happy to see these.

Picture books:
I have to start off by pointing out that they still had copies of The Amazing Book Eating Boy by Oliver Jeffers and Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt, two books that I am in LOVE with so look for those.
They had a paperback version of A Visitor for Bear by Bonnie Becker (my favorite picture book from 2008 and it's not available in paperback in stores). I stocked up on several copies for gifts.
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy by Mo Willems, another book you won't find in paperback in stores.

Charlie and Lola's But Excuse Me That is My Book by Lauren Child.  I heart Charlie and Lola even if the books are still a little too much for Creed.

Early Readers:
They had several of Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series.  I love these books, but they are much too expense for an early reader series so this is a good way to pick a few up
And who can resist Mo Willems's Elephant and Piggie Series?  They had a paperback version of There is a Bird on Your Head.

Middle Grade Fiction:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid seems to appeal to all ages and is one of the most popular series around and they had the first couple books
And I was happy to see that they now have the first three books in the 39 clues series

Young Adult:
ok, Palace of Mirrors is probably closer to middle grade fiction, but young adults will still enjoy this fairy tale by Margaret Peterson Haddix (the queen of unexpected plot twists) and this hardback minus the dust jacket is only $7.99 before the sale discount
And I cannot forget The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, because I've been making everyone that I know read it (and so far they have all LOVED it too).  I can't wait for the next book to come out in the fall.

Happy shopping!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

While I would *much* rather go to the sale with you, I greatly appreciate you sharing your recommendations via your blog. Thanks, Steph! And btw - we also love A Visitor for Bear!

kirsten said...

i've heard about that sale many times and have yet to check it out - i think the problem is that it falls on/right after the salt lake city library book sale - and it's impossible to beat those prices!

we LOVE mo willems. and i love him even more (even more than when i read his traveling around the world book) for writing elephant and piggie. because my 6yo is needing beginner books and those are just right. They are just the right amount of funny. My only complaint is the name 'Gerald'. Not the easiest phonetic name, you know?

(oh, and your neighbors rocked the ting tings - holy cow!)

kristen said...

Oh man! I wish I could have gone with you or had read this before i went with Michele. We only had 25 minutes to shop the whole thing and pay and I had never been so it was too overwhelming.I spent too much $ and didn't get any cool books like you recommended. I did get my own copy of hunger games even though I've read it as I will read it again before book 2 comes out and made Michele buy one too. I got some kids b-day presents and some Jedi books the kids will read. It was fun, but I wish I had had more time! Next time I need you to go for me! ;-)

April said...

Since you're a mom, here's a book I heard about recently and thought you might like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQeDfcvTRnA